The RMS has three types of membership for medical students, veterinary students and students in allied fields. Life membership is granted to those who have been members for five or more years.
|1.||Six years (Converts to life membership)||£110|
|2.||Three Years (Suitable for transfer students)||£70|
Please note that all memberships are subject to an additional refundable £5 deposit. This is for your key-card, which grants 24/7 access to the RMS buildings. Your deposit will be refunded upon the return of your key-card.
Benefits of Membership
- 24/7 access to the RMS buildings including our lounge, library, computer room, clinical skills room and kitchen
- Discounts on various RMS events (such as the Presidents’ Dinner, Conference and Burns Night)
- Exclusive RMS exam revision tutorials and clinical skills workshops
- Revision guides covering the core teaching of Years 1 and 2
- Access to our practice exam question bank
- The chance to apply for Travel and Study funding (particularly useful for your Year 6 elective)
- Great networking opportunities with speakers and guests
- The opportunity to stand for Council positions
- Being part of a historic and royal-chartered society
The RMS hosts meetings most weeks with guest speakers from Edinburgh and around the country. Please see our homepage for our most up-to-date syllabus.
Some of the sessions that the RMS hosts are for members only, such as clinical skills workshops and revision tutorials, which are run by experienced members of the Society.
Members who have signed attendance at five meetings in a session are eligible to be elected to the RMS Council at the Annual General Meeting each spring.
How to join
Online*: You can sign up for membership online using our payment processor, Wufoo: Sign Up
In Person: You can also purchase your membership in person at our office in Potterrow using cash or cheque. Please note that we are unable to take credit/debit card payments in the office.
*If you join online, please visit the RMS office to collect your membership card and access key-card at the start of the semester. You will visit our Rooms as part of your Welcome Week timetable.
The Royal Medical Society of Edinburgh (RMS) reserves the right to revoke the membership of an individual at any time if it is determined that a member has violated a term or condition of our behaviour policy. These are available on purchase of membership.